Imagine a perfect smile. The teeth are white and clean, right? Right. Everybody wants clean and white teeth, but not everybody knows what the best practice is. Most people say that the smile is the first thing they notice about somebody when meeting them. It only serves right then that you look after your teeth as best as you can.
In this article we will share five tips to keep your smile as teeth as beautiful and as smooth as they deserve to be.
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily. The advice given is brush when you wake up, and again before you go to bed. But if you can, brushing after every meal is perfect. Brushing removes the plaque that can cause discolouring and contribute to bad breath. You don’t want to brush too hard though as this can damage your teeth as well as your gums.
- Floss after every meal. Even if you don’t feel like you need to, do it anyway. You’d be amazed at what can get stuck between the gaps in your pearly whites.The tiny amounts of food that gets trapped between your teeth can cause real damage over time, sometime irreversible. Dentists everywhere recommend flossing at least twice a day, but again, after every meal time would be better.
- Consider changing toothpaste. There are plenty of toothpastes out there on the market, each have their unique selling point. If you’re looking for white AND healthy teeth, then look for a fluoride toothpaste which contains hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. These agents gently bleach the enamel to a brighter shade of white, whilst the fluoride strengthens the enamel, making it stronger and more resistant.
- Improve diet and lifestyle. Perhaps the most important point on this list, and the one that plays the biggest part in having an unhealthy mouth in the first place. Limiting your intake of acidic drinks, such as soft drinks and fruit juices, can do wonders for your teeth. Smoking is perhaps the culprit of teeth staining. Find ways to quit if you do smoke, and if you don’t, then don’t start.
- Upgrade your toothbrush. My personal dentist based in Perth Carillon City Dental, recommends going for an electric toothbrush over a manual one. Powerful electric toothbrushes are much more thorough than the conventional ones, removing more plaque and leaving your teeth squeaky clean.